- VALENZUELA CITY
“The Vibrant City”
A highly urbanized independent city in the Northern part of Metro Manila, Philippines. Bordered by the province of Bulacan, and cities of Caloocan, Malabon and Quezon City.
Back then it is a sitio part of Bulacan, located in Catanghalan (now Meycauayan).
- It was successfully separated from Catanghalan on November 7, 1623.
- And the separation was then confirmed by Governor-General Alonso Fajardo de Entenza and with a proclamation letter on November 12, 1623.
- Later, the date of November 12 is adopted as the city foundation day.
- And on December 30, 1998, Valenzuela became a highly urbanized city.
In 1960, Valenzuela was formerly known as Polo. The name Polo in Tagalog term means Pulo or “island” but the town itself was not an island; it is surrounded by rivers, creating an impression of itself being an island.
Valenzuela was named after Pío Valenzuela, a doctor and a patriot.
Pio Valenzuela was born in the Town of Polo in 1869 and was among the leaders of the KKK — Kataas-taasan, Kagalang-galangang Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan (“Supreme and Venerable Association of the Children of the Nation”) which he joined in 1892 at the age 23.
He became a close friend of its founder, Andrés Bonifacio; and his affiliation to the secret organization resulted to the more recruits (members of KKK)
A DAY OF TORTURE
During the second World War in the entrance of the Japanese Armies.
On December 10, 1944 A day of torture for the people of Polo and Obando the Japanese massacred and beaten to death more than a 100 males from both town.
- At about 1:00am on that day up to the time when the sun goes down the cries of the tortured men could be heard from the municipal building.
- When American and Filipino regiment came they bombed the place and used flamethrowers to burnt areas where the Japanese might occupy.
PLACES TO VISIT
Valenzuela People’s Park – A 1.5 hectare park built in February 14, 2015; an urban park located in Karuhatan, Valenzuela City.
Valenzuela Museo – A Museum open for public and a venue for various events; located in Fatima Avenue, Marulas, Valenzuela City.
- CALOOCAN CITY
“Cradle of Katipunan”
A highly urbanized independent city in Northern part of Metro Manila, Philippines.
“Caloocan” comes from the Tagalog root
word lo-ok; kalook-lookan (or kaloob-looban) means “innermost area”
Caloocan became a municipality when it was separated from Tondo in 1815.
It is divided into two geographical locations: The Nort and South Caloocan.
- Northern Caloocan: with an area of 39.709 square kilometers bordered by Quezon City, Valenzuela and Marilao, Meycauayan and San Jose del Monte in the province of Bulacan.
- Southern Caloocan: with an area of 13.625 square kilometers shares its border with Manila, Quezon City, Malabon, Navotas and Valenzuela.
It has a combined land area of 5,333.40 hectares with 1,583,978 people living in the city according to 2015 census.
One of the founders and later Supreme Leader of the Katipunan or KKK rose up in revolt against spanish Empire, somewhere in an area referred to as Caloocan. In 1963 the Philippine government declared that the event (the cry) took place in Pugad Lawin, Quezon City on August 23 1896.
The Kataas-taasan, Kagalang-galangang Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan (“Supreme and Venerable Association of the Children of the Nation”) also known as Katipunan or KKK, was founded in 1892 A secret organization until it was discovered in 1896.
A movement which sought the independence of the Philippines from Spanish colonial rule and started the Philippine Revolution.
THE CRY OF BALINTAWAK
The city has a significant history of what they called the “Cry of Balintawak”
The Cry or “The Cry Of Balintawak” Was the beginning of the Philippine Revolution against the Spanish Empire.
- The term cry referred to the first clash between the Katipuneros (KKK or Katipunan members) and the Civil Guards (Guardia Civil).
- The cry could also refer to the tearing up of community tax certificates in defiance of their allegiance to Spain
PLACES TO VISIT
Situated in South Caloocan at a roundabout crossing of four roads, namely Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA), MacArthur Highway, Samson Road and Avenida Rizal, the old road leading to Manila.
The Monument was buit in commemoration to the beginning of the Philippine Revolution against Spanish Empire which was spearheaded by Andrés Bonifacio.
SM Center Sangandaan
A 3-level mall for shopping and entertainment which is located along Samson Road.
A 3-story masterpiece for a place of worship for the Chinese and the Chinese-Filipino residents of Caloocan
- EDSA AVENUE
(The longest and most congested Highway in Metro Manila)
IT’S CALLED EDSA: BECAUSE IT WAS NAMED TO HONOR A JURIST, HISTORIAN AND SCHOLAR NAMED EPIFANIO DE LOS SANTOS.
WHO IS EPIFANIO DE LOS SANTOS?
Today’s events are tomorrow’s history, yet events seen by the naked eye lack the depth and breadth of human struggles, triumphs and suffering.
Writing history is writing the soul of the past… so that the present generation may learn from past mistakes, be inspired by their ancestor’s sacrifices, and take responsibility for the future.– EPIFANIO DE LOS SANTOS
EPIFANIO DE LOS SANTOS was born in 1871 in Malabon, Manila. He is the man behind the name Epifanio De Los Santos Avenue (commonly known as EDSA) the main road through Metro Manila, was named after him in his honor.
He studied at the Ateneo Municipal de Manila where he obtained a summa cum laude’ of Bachelor of Arts degree.
He finished his law studies in University of Santo Tomas and topped the bar exams in 1898.
Epifanio was considered one of the best Filipino writers in Spanish of his time and regarded as a literary genius.
He was appointed district attorney of San Isidro, Nueva Ecija. And later elected as governor of Nueva Ecija in 1902 and 1904
The last and most significant position De los Santos held was Director of the Philippine Library and Museum, to which he was appointed by Gov. Gen. Leonard Wood in 1925. He died in office on April 18, 1928
But before the Road Got it’s Name – EDSA. There were more Notable Preceded names before it. And these are:
_1. NORTH – SOUTH CIRCUMFERENCE ROAD (C4) this is what they called the road was then
_2. AVENIDA 19 DE JUNIO In 1946 the road was renamed Avenida 19 de Junio (June 19 Avenue) after the birth date of national hero José Rizal
_3. HIGHWAY 54 In the 1950s, the avenue was renamed Highway 54, because of the common misconception on that time that the avenue is 54 km long.
_4. EDSA Finally, on April 7, 1959 by virtue of Republic Act No. 2140, it was named Epifanio de Los Santos Avenue or EDSA.
LOCATION: METRO MANILA (NCR), PHILIPPINES
HOW LONG THE HIGHWAY IS? AND WHEN DID THE CONSTRUCTION START?
It is a 23.8 kilometer stretch from the Northbound Caloocan City, where Andres Bonifacio Monument is also situated, passing through Quezon City, San Juan City, Mandaluyong City, and Makati City to SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City (which is the southern end of Epifanio de Los Santos Avenue (EDSA).
The construction of what was then called the North–South Circumferential Road began in the 1930s and was finished in 1940 under President Manuel L. Quezon. The construction team was led by engineers Florencio Moreno and Osmundo Monsod.
EDSA NEARBY PLACES
CALOOCAN CITY AREA:
QUEZON CITY AREA:
SAN JUAN CITY AREA:
MANDALUYON CITY AREA:
MAKATI CITY AREA:
PASAY CITY AREA:
Create website in minutes.
WordPress.com gives you everything you need to start your website today. Free hosting, your own domain, a world-class support team, and so much more.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps. KING JAMES VERSION (KJV)